Ludovisi Ares, Roman after the Greek original from ca. 320 BC. Some restorations were made to the sculpture by Gianlorenzo Bernini in 1622.
This remarkable sculpture was rediscovered in 1622, on the site which was once apparently the temple of Mars, of which very few traces remain today. It was recovered near the more distinguishable site of the church of San Salvatore in Campo, which Pietro Santi Bartoli recorded as been found during the digging of a drain.
Ares/ Mars is shown here as young and beardless, in a moment of repose, with Eros who is actually at his feet. Having Eros at his feet draws attention to the fact that the god of war is being interestingly presented as a love object. It is likely, however, that the addition of Eros was invented by Baroque sculptor Bernini.
This piece was far more famous in the 17th and 18th centuries than today, and many copies were commissioned by wealthy art collectors.
Courtesy & currently located at the National Museum of Rome. Photo taken by Marie-Lan Nguyen.